500 New Acquisitions
Prices up to 500 EUR
500 - 1,000 EUR
1,000 - 3,000 EUR
3,000 - 5,000 EUR
5,000 - 10,000 EUR
10,000 - 25,000 EUR
25,000 - 50,000 EUR
over 50,000 EUR
very important paintings
WORKS OF ART
If you have a question about this item,
please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Tableau with 8 miniature portraits of North-European royalties", oil/copper, 17/18th century
Price: ON REQUEST
(please note additional 10% tax applies for transactions concluded within the European Union)
Extremely important and outstandingly qualitative collection of eight oil on copper miniature portraits of North-European royalties standing in connection to the House of Wittelsbach (German dynasty from Bavaria; see our images nr.39-42).
The names of the sitters are:
*Upper row (from left to right):
1. Wilhelm Heinrich (William II), Prince of Orange (1626-1650; for his extensive biography, as well as some other known portraits of him, see our images nr.43-45). It is probably a work of Gerard ter Borch the Younger (1617-1681).
2. James, Duke of York, from 1685 King James II of England and Irland (1633-1701; CLICK HERE FOR HIS BIOGRAPHY IN WIKIPEDIA)
3. Anton I, Count of Oldenburg (1505-1573; image nr.46 provides his biography from a German source)
*Lower row (from left to right):
4. Kurfuerst Friedrich IV von der Pfalz (Frederick IV, Elector Palatine of the Rhein; 1574-1610). For his extensive biography, as well as some other known portraits of him, see our images nr.47-53).
5. Currently still unknown to us royalty.
6. Clearly dated 1641 and currently still unknown to us royalty (likely from the House of Orange-Nassau).
7. Princess Dorothea of Anhalt-Dessau (nee Princess of Pfalz-Simmern; 1581-1631). Our image nr.54 offers her extensive biography from Wikipedia.
8. Princess Luise Juliana, Electorina Palatine of the Rhine (nee Princess of Orange-Nassau; 1576-1644). For her extensive biography, as well as some other known portraits of her, see our images nr.55-56.
All eight portraits are without exception works of 1st-class Dutch or German portrait painters (all certainly court artists) working either in Germany, in the Netherlands or in England. We are hopeful to discover if not all but at least some of their names.
Provenance: highly aristocratic Bavarian property
We are very grateful to Mr. Anton Gaev (Moscow) who recognized James, Duke of York on the portrait no.2 in the upper row
*Sizes range from 3,6x3,2cm/1,4x1,3in to 9,4x7,2cm/3,7x2,8in.
*Size of the framed tableau: 29,6x36,4cm/11,7x14,3in.
Creation Year: 17th/18th Century
Object Type:Framed tableau
Style: Portrait miniatures
Technique: each: oil on copper
Inscription:one is dated 1641
Creator Dates: -
SHIPPING COSTS UPON REQUEST:
Click here for images free of watermark!
Click on images or on to see larger pictures!